Okay guys the weather is getting hot so here are my 10 top tips on keeping your dogs coooooool this summer 😎
1. Do NOT leave your dog in any vehicle, you dog will very quickly overheat and can die, if you need to go to the shop LEAVE YOUR DOGS AT HOME!!!
2. DONT walk your dog in the day especially between the hours of 11am - 3pm you are putting your dog at risk of heatstroke. Instead take them first thing in the morning or at night 🌙
3. Before walking your dog, place your hand on the pavement for 5 seconds. If its too hot for you its certainly too hot for their feet and they will burn 🔥
4. Now heres an important one. BRUSH YOUR DOGS! Yes believe it or not, just because your dog has a long coat doesnt mean hes too hot infact short hair dogs burn more 😯. Dogs are only able to lose heat either by panting or by the pads on their feet. The length of hair MAKES NO DIFFERENCE (please see my previous blog on this via my website)
However having a well maintained coat allows the hair to trap cool air between the layers and protects the skin from the sun! AMAZING I KNOW!! Dogs fur is so clever 😊 so brush brush brush and make sure you see your dog groomer regularly 👍
5. Keep your dogs in the shade were possible, keep your home cool by opening windows or using a fan.
6. Buy a cool mat for your pooch to lie on, or a cool damp wet towel as a cheaper alternative.
7. Make sure your dog has lots of fresh drinking water provided all day🧊
8. make some fun ices treats for them, look online for some cool fun recipes, or freeze their kong filled with treats.🍦
9. If your dog becomes too hot COOL THEIR FEET! As mentioned this is 1 of 2 ways your dog can cool down. So give you friend a hand, stand them in a cool bath or paddling pool. Dip those toes in a sink or bucket or spray them down regularly. If your dog starts showing signs of heat stroke use a surgical spirit on their feet to cool them down quicker.🚿
10. And finally dont over exercise your dog! Dont theow that stick over and over again to make him run and make him heat up, if you go to a beach or lake, dont let your pups ingest too much water either buy bounding in and out after a ball, it can cause drowning. Stick to calm activities!